Known as the cultural capital of Australia, Melbourne is a city packed with experience and is quite a popular tourist destination. From museums and gardens to amusement parks, coffee shops, festivals, and the beach, Melbourne offers something for everyone.
If you have recently arrived in Melbourne, you might want to first figure out your accommodation and transportation if you haven’t already, and then you can set about explore the city.
Here’s a list of the best things you can do while you are in Melbourne
- The City Center: The Melbourne city center is just like Times Square, only that a lot of people believe it is bigger and better. Take one of the city tours in which a professional guide takes you on a walking tour through the city center and you will get to see popular tourist spots like the Federation Square, Flinders Street Station etc.
- Queen Victoria Market: Known as the biggest open-air market in the Southern Hemisphere, the Queen Victoria Market spans over 7 hectares and was built in the early 19th century. It is a popular spot for fresh produce and a great place to go and check what Melbourne really has to offer.
- National Gallery of Victoria: If you have a thing for art, the National Gallery of Victoria is a must visit place for you. It has a permanent exhibition at display which includes art pieces from international artists. The NGV also hosts a variety of events which you can check online and plan your visit accordingly.
- Don’t Miss Out The Street Art: Melbourne is greatly known for its vibrant street art and graffiti. When in Melbourne, don’t forget to visit the Hosier Lane which is always packed with artists making master pieces on the streets. Another popular choice to check out the local street artists’ work is the AC/DC Lane.
- Rooftop Bars: Melbourne has countless rooftop bars which offer a spectacular view of the city. Immerse in the beauty of the Melbourne skyline with a drink at one of the rooftop bars.
- Royal Botanical Gardens: Visit the Royal Botanical Garden for a very peaceful day out. Immerse in the beauty of nature in the maintained garden and additional you might also want to visit the Shrine of Remembrance there.
- Skyline View from Eureka Deck: If you truly want to take a birds eye view of the city, visit the Eureka Deck in Melbourne and check out the beautiful skyline which looks remarkable at sunset.
- Take the River Cruise: The Yarra River Tours allow you to explore the Melbourne city from an entirely different perspective. Enjoy the city center highlights from a distance with this cruise.
- Take a Road Trip on Ocean Road: There’s nothing as beautiful as a drive along the Victoria Coastline. There’s Port Campbell National Park on one side of the road and the other side of the road offers spectacular view of the ocean. You can also go off road and discover the Campbell National Park to satisfy the adventure and thrill seeker in you.
Those are some of the highlights of what you could do in Melbourne. If you are also visiting Sydney, check out our travel tips if you are going to Sydney.